What will smartphones and tablets be in 2030?
Reto Meier, who works for Google’s Android Developer Advocate, is also a renowned futurist.
Having studied the trends in the development of modern technologies, he outlined his point of view on how smartphones and tablets will look in five, ten and twenty years.
– Displays of tablets and smartphones will receive a high HD resolution and higher.
– Increase the duration of thin devices.
– Gadgets will learn to recognize the faces, gestures and views of users.
– Mobile phones will begin to interact with a large number of consumer electronics and cars.
– 3G / 4G and Wi-Fi communication around the world will be spread even more.
Most of these items have come true. This year, Apple introduced and launched its new iPad tablet with the highest screen resolution – 2048×1536 pixels. Android smartphones also received HD displays (1280×720 pixels), for example, models: HTC One X, Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note, Sony Ericsson Xperia S, LG Optimus 4X HD.
Galaxy Nexus has learned to recognize the user’s face to unlock a smartphone, and the Galaxy S III now monitors the user’s eyes, selecting a convenient display backlight for a specific application.
iPhone is now used as a wireless key for some cars and even monitors their condition.
True, the duration of work has not been increased, it still remains a problem for many tablets and smartphones on Android.
In five years
– Tablets and smartphones will get flexible displays.
– They will be built HD-projectors.
– The screens will have excellent touch panels and will recognize more than 10 simultaneous keystrokes.
– Small smartphones and tiny gadgets with capacious fuel cells will appear.
– 5G technology will appear. The 4G standard will be popular all over the world, like 3G is now.
The likelihood of flexible displays is very high, as Samsung recently introduced a similar OLED screen that worked perfectly.
Also, phones with HD projectors are not far off, as Samsung unveiled last year the first such model called the Beam. But there the projector was with VGA resolution, and the smartphone itself was not particularly popular.
Particularly interested in smartphones and gadgets with very capacious elements. Unfortunately, Reto Meier does not reveal the features of these batteries. Hope they will be harmless.
After 10 years
– Transparent LCD displays that will begin to be embedded in glasses.
– The complete lack of touch and physical keyboards. They will come to replace voice input with impeccable speech recognition.
– The devices will be small enough so that they can be embedded in watches or precious jewelry, while they will work for years without recharging.
It is possible that in ten years we will not use the phones we are used to at all, because the technologies of the future will allow them to simply be built into watches or jewelry.
In ten years, there will be glasses with built-in LCD displays that will help look at the world more interactively. For example, Google is currently developing a similar technology called Glasses. Then there will be no need for tablets, if you can get on the Internet with such points.
In 20 years
– Interactive glasses will be reduced to the size of contact lenses, which will project all the information directly on the retina.
– mind control.
– The Internet will be available anywhere in the world. Wires will be abolished, as wireless technologies will be strongly developed.
It sounds crazy, but Reto Meier says that in 20 years, humanity will gradually move from silicon to biological processors: “the computer of the future will resemble a virus rather than a tiny silicon chip.”
As for the control of consciousness, it is unlikely that Reto Meier meant a special helmet – it will be something more technological and completely unimaginable.